The University of Sheffield
School of Mathematics and Statistics
Sheffield S3 7RH, UK
(Send me a postcard and I will send you one in return!)
E-mail: e.shinder at sheffield.ac.uk
I am a Lecturer at the University of Sheffield and a member of the Sheffield Algebraic Geometry group and I am also an associated member of the International laboratory for Mirror Symmetry and Automorphic Forms at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow.
I defended my PhD in June 2011 under the supervision of Andrei Suslin at Northwestern University. During the academic years 2011-13 I was a postdoc at the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics, University of Bonn, the Hausdorff Research Institute for Mathematics and the University of Mainz. In 2013-14 I was a Whittaker postdoc at the University of Edinburgh.
I work in Algebraic Geometry, in particular I am interested in derived categories and the Grothendieck ring of varieties, with applications in Birational Geometry and Algebraic K-theory. Here is my Google Scholar page, my CV, and my slightly outdated Research Statement on Grothendieck ring and birational geometry and a newer Research Statement on Derived categories and singularities
MAS114 Numbers and Groups, Semester 2, 2019/20
MAS330 Topics in Number Theory, full notes 2017/18
MAS439 Commutative Algebra and Algebraic Geometry in Semester 2, 2016/17
Undergraduate Pizza Seminar
Current PhD students: Nebojsa Pavic (since 2016), George Moulantzikos (since 2018)
Various Algebraic Geometry seminars in Sheffield
Anna Barbieri, Cristina Manolache, Nebojsa Pavic and myself organized a Sheffield GLEN "Singularities in Algebra and Geometry" workshop on 13-14 November 2019 in Sheffield.
Arend Bayer, Ivan Cheltsov, Liana Heuberger and myself organized a Constructions and Obstructions in Birational Geometry workshop at ICMS on 5-9th November 2018.
Anna Barbieri, Barbara Bolognese, Joe Karmazyn and myself organized a Sheffield GLEN workshop on 8-9 February 2018 in Sheffield.
Singularity Category Seminar, Spring 2016/17
Tom Bridgeland and myself organized a workshop "GLEN: Homological Algebraic Geometry" on 9-10 June 2016 in Sheffield.
Sergey Galkin, Michael Wemyss and myself organized a workshop "Derived categories, Motives and Zeta-functions" on 9-11 June 2014 in Edinburgh.Lectures by Andrey Soldatenkov on Holomorphic Symplectic Manifolds on 13-18 June 2014 in Edinburgh.
Tentative schedule for the Seminar on derived categories of coherent sheaves a long time ago in Bonn
• The motivic nearby fiber and degeneration of stable rationality, arXiv:1708.02790 (with Johannes Nicaise), Invent. Math. 217 (2019) 2, 377-413.
• Grothendieck ring of varieties, D- and L-equivalence, and families of quadrics, arXiv:1612.07193 (with Alexander Kuznetsov), Selecta Math. (N.S.) 24 (2018), no. 4, 3475-3500.
• Group actions on categories and Elagin's Theorem Revisited, arXiv:1706.01714 , Eur. J. Math. 4 (2018), no. 1, 413-422.
• On the geometry of the LLSvS eightfold, arXiv:1601.08186 , (with Andrey Soldatenkov), Kyoto J. Math. 57 (2017), no. 4, 789-806.
• The Bogomolov-Prokhorov invariant of surfaces as equivariant cohomology, arXiv:1604.01991 , Bull. Korean Math. Soc. 54 (2017), no. 5, 1725–1741.
• Derived Categories of Keum's Fake Projective Planes (with Sergey Galkin, Ludmil Katzarkov and Anton Mellit), Adv. in Mathematics, Vol. 278, 2015, Pages 238-253,
• Exceptional collections of line bundles on the Beauville surface arXiv:1210.3339 (with Sergey Galkin), Adv. in Mathematics, Vol. 244, 2013, Pages 1033-1050,
• Linear Mahler Measures and Double L-values of Modular Forms arXiv:1206.1454 (with Masha Vlasenko), Journal of Number Theory Volume 142, September 2014, Pages 149-182,
• On the motive of the group of units of a division algebra, Journal of K-Theory, volume 13, issue 03, pp. 533-561.
• On the Riemann-Roch Theorem without Denominators, (with Oleg Podkopaev) St. Petersburg Math. J. Vol. 18 (2007), No. 6, Pages 1021–1027.
• Mishchenko and Quillen Formulas for Oriented Cohomology Pretheories, St. Petersburg Math. J. Vol. 18 (2007), No. 4, Pages 671–678
• Obstructions to semiorthogonal decompositions for singular threefolds I: K-theory, arXiv:1910.09531 (with Martin Kalck, Nebojsa Pavic), submitted
• L-equivalence for degree five elliptic curves, elliptic fibrations and K3 surfaces, arXiv:1907.01335 (with Ziyu Zhang), submitted
• Variation of stable birational types of hypersurfaces, arXiv:1903.02111 (with an appendix by Claire Voisin), submitted
• K-theory and the singularity category of quotient singularities, arXiv:1809.10919 (with Nebojsa Pavic)
• Derived categories of singular surfaces, arXiv:1809.10628 (with Joseph Karmazyn and Alexander Kuznetsov), submitted
• On a zeta-function of a dg-category, arXiv:1506.05831 (with Sergey Galkin)
• The Fano variety of lines and rationality problem for a cubic hypersurface, arXiv:1405.5154 (with Sergey Galkin), submitted
• Minifolds and Phantoms arXiv:1305.4549 [math.AG] (with Sergey Galkin, Ludmil Katzarkov and Anton Mellit)
• Lectures on simple singularities and McKay correspondence (in Russian)
• Geometry of singularities: 30 minutes colloquium talk
• Grothendieck ring of varieties, D- and L-equivalence, and families of quadrics: 2017 talk in Osaka
• The Fano variety of lines and rationality problem for a cubic hypersurface: 2014 talk in the COW seminar; 2014 talk at the EDGE workshop
• Mathematics of the Rubik's Cube: My talk at a Student Seminar in Sheffield
• Derived categories of coherent sheaves and phantoms, (my lectures given at the University of Mainz in the Summer 2013)
Sheffield Shodokan Aikido
Hallam Sinfonia Orchestra
Festival of Debate